August 12, 2015

The Broad Fork by Hugh Acheson

The Broad Fork: Recipes for the Wide World of Vegetables and Fruits
My rating: 4 of 5 spoons
gggg

What a lovely book! Three simple recipes and then a complex one for a wide range of fruits and vegetables giving a nice variety of ideas for each. Not all the recipes are vegetarian, but I like that variety. After all, "variety is the spice of life"!

Recipes are organized according to season, beginning with Fall. Fall gives you apples, eggplant, figs, sweet potatoes, pecans and more. Winter is the season of broccoli, brussels sprouts, cauliflower, kale, turnips, winter squash and so forth. Spring brings artichokes, asparagus, beets, carrots, fennel, peas, among others. Summer finishes up with produce such as basil, beans, corn, leeks, melons, peppers, tomatoes and more.

Not sure what to do with that fennel? Try Fennel Salad with Anchovies, Lemon and Roasted Tomatoes. Want to do something new with brussels sprouts? How about some Roasted Chicken Thighs Over Barley and Brussels Sprout Risotto? (My mouth is watering right now!) I'm dying to try the Mussels with Porcini, Mustard and Cream and Seared Scallops with Corn, Spinach and Bacon is a must!

There is so much to try in this gorgeous cookbook. Everyone can find something amazing to cook!! Give it a try and wow your family with something new.

My one problem with this cookbook is language. A sear word in large letters right on the inside cover, and at least one more in the cookbook. Sorry, but I hate swearing,w and it's particularly grating to me in a cookbook. I removed one star due to that. Otherwise, it's a great book.

I received a copy of this book from Clarkson Potter Publishing through Blogging for Books for my honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments family friendly! :-)