December 5, 2015

Slow Cooker Desserts by Roxanne Wyss

Slow Cooker Desserts: Oh So Easy, Oh So Delicious!
My rating: 3 of 5 spoons

ggg

As a stay-at-home, homeschool mom I absolute love my slow cooker!! I use it often, and I was really excited to get this book. I have to be honest. I was a little disappointed, though. It starts promisingly with cheesecakes and cakes. Ah, but there's a catch! These all use a 7-inch springform pan in a 5 qt or larger slow cooker. I know you can make cakes straight in the slow cooker--I have done it before. It was just a disappointment that NONE of the cake recipes are made outside of a springform pan.

Pushing down my disappointment, I made the Warm Brownie Pudding. A self-saucing, fudgy brownie...what's not to love?! It was okay. It wasn't bad, but it didn't wow me.

Apple Butter is great made in a slow cooker, but be aware if you don't like yours super sweet, you might want to cut down on the sugar. They call for a combination of Granny Smith and Jonathan, and you definitely need some sugar with Granny Smith apples, but 1 1/3 c brown sugar is a bit much. I, personally, like to use a sweeter apple and not even add sugar, or just add a bit of fruit juice.

The fruit crisps are sure winners. Luscious, dripping with fruity goodness, they are sure to be a crowd pleaser.

Chocolate Cashew Clusters are a no brainer. Who wouldn't love these?! Yum!! I need to try the Crispy Peanut Butter Candy for my kids. I'm sure they'd love it as well.

There are some great hits and a few misses in this book. If you're a die-hard slow cooker fan, this book is definitely for you. If you want cakes, though, you'll have to find a 7-inch springform pan, or re-work some of the recipes to go straight in the cooker. Happy Cooking!

I received a copy of this book from St. Martin's Press through the Lisa Ekus Group for my honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments family friendly! :-)