December 15, 2013

Dos Camino's Mexican Street Food by Ivy Stark

Dos Caminos' Mexican Street Food: 120 Authentic Recipes to Make At Home
My rating: 3 of 5 spoons
ggg

I was excited to receive this book and dove right in only to come up with mixed feelings. I was looking for a cookbook filled with authentic street food from Mexico. There are definitely a lot of those recipes in this book, but some fell woefully short such as the Cornmeal Biscuits with Cheddar and Chipotle that the author clearly states were based on biscuits she loved growing up so she made a "Mexican" version. There are many dishes in here that are definitely NOT street food, and that made this book a little disappointing.

The other issue I had with this book is some of the ingredients it calls for. Sea urchin roe, epazote (I had to look this one up. It's a hard to find spice.), huitlacoche (a corn fungus--seriously!) and goat meat are definitely not readily available in most of the United States, so that dropped my rating a bit, too.

There are some lovely recipes in here that are great. I'm a sucker for the Mexico City-Style Street Corn and I love the Jicama, Orange and Apple Salad and Roasted Chicken Flautas.

Go into this book with your eyes open, and I'll think you'll find lots to enjoy. This book is full of lovely photographs and interesting information and some great recipes--just not all of them are actually "Mexican Street Food".

I received a copy of this book from Skyhorse Publishing for my honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments family friendly! :-)