November 5, 2015

New England Farmgirl by Jessica Robinson

New England Farmgirl: Recipes & Stories from a Farmer's Daughter
My rating: 5 of 5 spoons

ggggg

I love New England. It's been a not-so-secret wish of mine for some time now to someday live in the area--preferably Maine. Until then, I love to soak up lovely cookbooks and food from the area. This beautiful book is right up my alley! I had a huge sweet craving right after receiving this book (which is unusual for me--normally I crave salty stuff), so I tried out the Farmhouse Oatmeal-Chocolate Chip Cookies. They immediately became a family favorite! I didn't have maple sugar, so I just added a dollop of maple syrup and they were scrumptious!

We love authentic baked beans around here, so next up was Pop's Baked Beans. I splurged awhile ago and bought a traditional bean pot that I love to use, so out it came. I was a little nervous with the amount of ketchup the recipe called for, especially as that's all you smelled for the first hour or so, but they mellowed out and were very good. They were a little sweeter than I typically like, but I am definitely in the minority on that! That's also an easy fix if you prefer more savory beans. Rustic Herb Potatoes and Herb-Roasted Chicken are scrumptious. Pair those with the Buttermilk Biscuits and you have a wonderful meal.

This cookbook isn't just pretty with a few yummy-looking recipes, but something I will want to cook out of for a long time to come. Maple-Nut Fudge is on my list for holiday cooking this year. I can't wait to try her Maine Lobster Stew and the Creamy Cheddar and Broccoli Soup as the days get colder and soups are the order of the day. We're in the middle of a warm snap (it's November and the windows are all open in the house as it's a balmy 68 with a high of 73 today!!), so soups will wait a little longer.

I could go on and on listing recipes that I want to try or even recipes I want to make again, but suffice it to say that this is a great cookbook that I am happy to highly recommend! I thoroughly enjoyed it and hope you will to. Let's get cooking!

I received a copy of this book from Gibbs-Smith Publishing for my honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments family friendly! :-)