October 19, 2015

Fresh Made Simple by Lauren Keiper Stein

Fresh Made Simple: A Visual Recipe Guide to Light Meals & Snacks
My rating: 4 of 5 spoons 

gggg

This little book caught be by surprise. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but it wasn't this! Cute graphics take the place of true recipes with general (if any) amounts and instructions. Amounts are often spoken of as "lots", "a bunch", "a squeeze", "a sprinkling", "a handful" and so forth. The title does say "Made Simple", but sometimes it seems to take it a bit to the extreme, such as the Pistachio Nut Mix. Raisins, Dried Cherries, Honey Roasted Sesame Sticks and Roasted, Unsalted & Shelled Pistachios. No amounts, just "Give a shake to mix." The Tomato Slices on pg 111 are very similar to what we do often around here, only we usually add oregano. Very easy and very delicious and the Black and White Bark is something my kids would love (minus the cranberries--none of them like cranberries!).

I would say that most people who are seasoned cooks might not be enthralled with this book, but I do think it has its place. It's perfect for children or very new cooks. It won't overwhelm them with long lists of ingredients (usually 5 or less per recipe) or long, involved instructions. Quick, simple, and pretty healthy recipes with colorful graphics will interest most kids. That alone makes it worth it.

I received a copy of this book from Storey Publishing for my honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments family friendly! :-)