October 5, 2015

Paleo Italian Cooking by Cindy Barbieri

Paleo Italian Cooking: Authentic Italian Gluten-Free Family Recipes
My rating: 5 of 5 spoons 

ggggg

Much of true Italian cooking is innately healthy, but this book takes it a step further to gluten free. Now, I don't have a problem with gluten, but I like to have recipes that I can make for friends that are allergic or have celiac disease. This book is perfect for that.

Paleo Italian Cooking begins with articles and information including The Paleo Italian Lifestyle, The Seasons and Savors of Italy, Cooking Methods and Tips and more. From there you move to basic recipes: Italian Pickled Vegetables, Chicken Broth and Veal Stock. From Basic Recipes you move to Sauces & Condiments, Appetizers & Salads, Brunch, Tuscan Favorites, Soups, Stews & Chili, Meat & Poultry Main Courses, Seafood Main Courses, For Pasta Lovers, Side Dishes and end with Desserts.

There are plenty of old favorites in here. Chicken Scalloppine in Lemon-Caper Sauce is a definite favorite in my family. We love the clean, crisp flavors, and it's so easy to make! Likewise, the Salmon with Lemon, Capers & Thyme is truly delicious. Lemon and capers are paired often in Italian cuisine, and it's a great match with the chicken or fish among other things. You won't miss pasta so much after trying the Spaghetti Squash with a Chicken Ragu. The Roasted Carrots & Butternut Squash make a delectable side dish. I haven't made it to the desserts yet, but I can't wait to make the Custard Pie with Pine Nuts and Almonds...or any of the other desserts! They all look amazing.

The recipes are clear and easy to follow, and most--if not all--of the recipes have a beautiful picture so you can see what the end result should be. While having photos for each dish is not make or break when it comes to buying a cookbook for me, it definitely helps make the decision easier!

This is a great cookbook. I am happy to highly recommend it, not only to those who have to eat gluten-free or are living a paleo lifestyle, but to anyone who truly loves Italian cuisine. Now, who wants some Pistachio-Almond Biscotti? I think I'll go make some right now!

I received a copy of this book from Tuttle Publishing for my honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments family friendly! :-)