October 20, 2015

Tacos by Alex Stupak

Tacos: Recipes and Provocations
My rating: 3 of 5 spoons

ggg

I love tacos. Frankly, I love tortillas, and just about anything you can do with them. I have fond memories of a missions trip to Mexico when I was a little girl and some of the local ladies fed us with fresh tortillas and frijoles, or living in a tiny village in Alaska and wanting tacos, so my dad and I made them from scratch. I was so excited to get this book and dive into real, authentic Mexican tacos. Ummm, not so much. There is some great recipes for basic tortillas and tacos, but there are far more recipes for.....interesting variations.

The book has a great beginning with sections on the Mexican pantry and types of chilis. From there it moves on to tortillas, including a recipe for making your own masa, before moving into what it calls neo-traditional tortillas. Beet, saffron, pistachio, buckwheat, chicken (yes, that's shredded chicken right in the dough) and more swim before you. From tortillas you move to salsas and then into tacos.

The salsa section is very full and fairly complete. It's great to browse through and find your favorite salsas to make yourself. The taco section, on the other hand left me wanting a good, authentic, classic Mexican taco. Cheeseburger, pastrami, pork rind tacos, tripe, fava and blood sausage, black bean hummus and more fill the pages with not a glimmer of a classic bean or ground meat taco anywhere to be found.

If you want a classic, authentic taco, good luck finding it here. If you like exotic food with odd combinations or just pushing the boundaries in food, this book is for you.

I received a copy of this book through Blogging for Books for my honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments family friendly! :-)