March 26, 2013

"Hazan Family Favorites" by Giuliano Hazan

Hazan Family Favorites: Beloved Italian Recipes from the Hazan FamilyMy rating: 5 of 5 spoons
ggggg

As a child in America, Giuliano Hazan’s mother, Marcella, packed him meatballs with potatoes and peas, veal stew with mushrooms, and other homemade dishes for lunch—dishes that in no way resembled the peanut butter sandwiches his classmates enjoyed. And so began his appreciation of great food. Hazan Family Favorites celebrates delicious recipes from the Hazan family, prepared just as Giuliano prepares them for his own family today. Here are 85 recipes for every course in the Italian meal, including Appetizers, Soups, Pastas and Rice, Meats and Seafood, and Sides and Desserts. With recipes from Swiss Chard Tortelloni to Strawberry Gelato to everything in between, Hazan Family Favorites offers an intimate look at this iconic family and their most beloved recipes.

As an Italian food lover, this book was right up my alley. I am more familiar with Southern Italian cookbing, but I thoroughly enjoyed the recipes, recipe backgrounds and anecdotes. I realize some think there were too many anecdotes, but this was a family history of food and I felt they struck the right tone.

The recipes were amazing. Where do I start? Old favorites, new loves and some non-traditional recipes (latkes anyone?) with an Italian twist. I'm dying to try the Brussel Sprouts Braised with Pancetta, Pistachio Baklava, Boeuf Giuliano, and so many more. I have a large list to cook now. I can't wait to get started!

I received a digital edition of this book through NetGalley.com for my honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments family friendly! :-)