March 28, 2013

"Cast-Iron Cooking with Sisters on the Fly" by Irene Rawlings

Cast-Iron Cooking with Sisters on the FlyMy rating: 2 of 5 spoons
gg

With a motto of, “We have more fun than anyone,” Sisters on the Fly member Irene Rawlings introduces readers to the culinary comfort of cooking with cast iron inside Cast-Iron Cooking with Sisters on the Fly. Harkening back to the days of car travel before the interstate highway system made it easy to get to today’s popular camping spots, Irene offers heirloom and contemporary recipes presented alongside engaging stories and action photos of kindred Sisters cooking deliciously flavorful meals with readily available ingredients over campfires and at their home ranges. Special to this collection, Rawlings explores the basics of cooking with cast iron for 100 tasty main dishes, delectable sides and appetizers, scrumptious biscuits and breads, to-die-for desserts, and luscious libations.

Maybe I'm too picky, but when I read the title of this cookbook I expected exactly that--cast-iron cooking. I did not expect so very many recipes for everything from pimento cheese, pasta salad, a salad made with Rice-a-Roni of all things, unbaked pies, and punchbowl cakes to lots and lots of alcoholic drinks. If it had been titled something to do with camp cooking it wouldn't have bothered me so much. It just seemed an inordinate amount of recipes that either weren't cooked at all or they were cooked in something other than cast iron. THIRTY-ONE (yes, I counted them) recipes for drinks, and most of them were alcholic. It left me very disappointed.

Most of the actual cast-iron recipes look very good. Some are "old friends" so to speak, and some I really want to try. However, this cookbook left me unimpressed overall.

I received a digital copy of this book from Andrews McMeel Publishing through NetGalley.com for my honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments family friendly! :-)