May 19, 2013

"Dishing Up Maine" by Brooke Dojny

Dishing Up Maine: 165 Recipes That Capture Authentic Down East FlavorsMy rating: 4 of 5 spoons
gggg

A few years ago, my family spent several weeks in Maine, and I fell in love.  It was early October, the scenes were gorgeous, the people friendly and the food fantastic. I could not WAIT to get my hands on this cookbook! While there is an abundance of scrumptious recipes, I was so terribly disappointed in the dearth of seafood chowder/stew recipes. There are a few for a specific ingredient (haddock, mussels, lobster, etc), but only one for a mixed seafood stew, and that was Mediterranean Seafood Stew. If I want a Mediterranean dish, I'll go to a Mediterranean cookbook. In a Maine cookbook, I want MAINE foods!! While in Maine we happened by chance upon the Rockland Cafe in Rockland, ME where I had an unbelievably wonderful seafood chowder loaded with haddock, lobster, crab, clams, scallops and shrimp. I realize their recipe is a closely guarded secret, but I was hoping for something along that line--a good traditional mixed seafood chowder--only to be severely disappointed.

On the bright side, this book is filled with wonderful recipes, great tips, facts and stories as well as truly gorgeous photos. Honestly, it's a feast for the eyes as well as the stomach, but I did come away with the feeling that it was more a cookbook of what people expect from Maine than a truly "Mainah" cookbook. Don't let that dissuade you from trying these great recipes. The Broiled Herb-Crumbed Sea Scallops are calling my name right along with the Shaker Chicken Stew with Scallion Dumplings, Pan Roast of Fish and Shellfish, Rustic Summer Berry Croustade (You HAVE to see the photo on this one! I wanted to dive right in!!), and Carding Brook Farm Scalloped Tomatoes with Garlic Crumbs. Let's get cooking!!

I received a copy of this book from Storey Publishing for my honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments family friendly! :-)