June 14, 2013

"The Silver Spoon" by Phaidon Press

The Silver Spoon  (new edition)My rating: 5 of 5 spoons
ggggg

First of all, I want to be clear that this review is for the new, 2011 edition. This book has been updated and includes 400 new photographs. I was blown away by the size of this cookbook, and things just kept getting better from there. The quality of the book is outstanding with nice quality paper, sewn binding and a ribbon bookmark. I was a little surprised that there was only one bookmark as another cookbook from the same publisher that is much thinner has two bookmarks. This book could really use at least two, but that's a minor detail and does not detract from the overall book quality. The sewn binding gives it a sturdy feel that gives you the comfort that this book isn't going to fall apart if you use it very often--which I fully plan to do!

First, I have to address complaints I saw in other reviews (I'm assuming they are for the older edition). Some complained that even though they were well versed in making "Panna Cotta", this recipe didn't work. I know it's shocking that as much as I love Italian food I had never made "Panna Cotta" before! (I know, I know. I feel mortified to even admit it!) However, using the recipe from this book I was able to create a truly lovely "Panna Cotta" even tweaking the recipe a bit! I have to make another confession; I started the recipe before pulling out all of the ingredients--something I rarely do--only to discover my daughter had used the last of the sugar making sweet tea. I ended up substituting confectioner's sugar and held my breath. Wow!! Pretty sure I'll be making this often as it was a huge hit with my family. The consistency was so silky and smooth. It was a joy to eat. If there were problems with this recipe, they have obviously been fixed.

Last night we had the "Patate in Terracotta con Cipolle" (Potatoes and Onions Baked in an Earthenware Dish) and "Pollo Impanato E Fritto" (Fried Chicken in Breadcrumbs). My husband has nearly threatened me with bodily harm if I don't make it again! Even though I've lived all over the US, I consider myself a Southern girl and let me just say that the fried chicken is the best I've ever had! (Trust me, that's saying a lot!) I would never have thought to marinate my chicken in olive oil and lemon juice, but it was amazing! The very slight citrus background flavor and fork-tender chicken made it a sure winner. Recipe after recipe calls out to be made, and I know I'll be cooking out of this book for a very long time.

I received a copy of this book from Phaidon Press for my honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments family friendly! :-)