September 9, 2013

The Adobo Road by Marvin Gapultos

The Adobo Road Cookbook: A Filipino Food Journey-From Food Blog, to Food Truck, and BeyondMy rating: 4 of 5 spoons
gggg

I had to call my sister when I got this cookbook as she spent a couple of years in the Philippines and fell in love with their food. She still cooks their food often even though it's been years since she lived there, and many of the recipes in this book are ones she makes often. The Green Beans With Shallots and Garlic as well as the Fast and Simple Garlic Fried Rice are delicious (and very authentic, according to her!). I first had adobo when she made it for us on a visit home and, while I wouldn't want a steady diet of it, these are great recipes for times I want that flavor. I do love Lumpia and Spring Rolls, so I'm delighted to find the recipes here. The Leche Flan is definitely on my "to make" list as well.

Most of the recipes here are fairly simple to make, but some of the ingredients will be very hard to find unless you live in an area with a large Filipino population that has specialized stores that carry products such as cassava, fresh pig's ears, fresh taro root and so on. There is a listing in the back of the book for a few online sources, but this can get pricey. That dropped my rating a bit. Other than that, this is a great book for lovers of Filipino food or food explorers looking to try something new.

I received a copy of this book from Tuttle Publishing for my honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments family friendly! :-)