September 5, 2013

The No Recipe Cookbook by Susan Crowther

The No Recipe Cookbook: A Guide to Culinary IntelligenceMy rating: 3 of 5 spoons
ggg

This is a nice book for those who don't know much about cooking. There's some great information in here and loads of tips. I cooked for years with many failures as I had not learned the basic philosphy of "Mise en place"--"Everything in its place". Cooking is so much easier (and more fun!) if you prepare properly. That and other good, basic cooking philosophies are covered nicely in this book.

There are some issues, however. When discussing sauteing and stir-frying, on the chart is says garlic can be sauted at any time, but never mentions that garlic burns easily when sauteing and how to combat that. The author clearly states that she likes and eats meat, but gives no information on actually cooking meat. That seems kind of weird as this is not a "vegetarian" cookbook per se. There are lots of "Top Ten" lists that just seem to take up space and not be very helpful.

Like I said, there's some great information in here, but you have to dig to find it. I don't know that I would recommend this to a friend trying to learn how to cook.

I recieved a copy of this book from Skyhorse Publishing for my honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments family friendly! :-)