September 21, 2013

The Clean Plates Cookbook by Jaren Koch

The Clean Plates Cookbook: Simple Recipes for Healthy, Sustainable, and Delicious EatingMy rating: 4 of 5 spoons
gggg

Who doesn't want good tasting, healthy food? That is what this book is all about. Now, I will be honest here, I'm not a huge all-organic, gluten free, healthy only type of cook. I do, however, try to cook healthier versions of whatever I cook when I can. My passion is Sicilian cooking, which does fall into healthier eating with lots of fresh fruits, vegetables and seafood. I have always been against your average soy products, and it was nice to see a mainstream, healthy cookbook that isn't full of soy products.

This book is so full of good information. It really breaks down what is good, what is not and why. It is not a vegetarian or vegan cookbook as it does have a few beef, chicken and fish--and even pork!!--recipes. I like that. I'm an omnivore, and the chances of me giving up meat are pretty slim. Cut down, maybe, but definitely not give up!

The recipes are mostly quite simple. That simplicity coupled with good quality ingredients is what makes the dish. The Garlic Mashed Butternut Squash was so simple to make, but really delicious. It would make a perfect side dish for Thanksgiving. I was thrilled to find a recipe for granola using steel cut oats. I had been wondering how to use them in my granola, but hadn't found a recipe for it. I can't wait to try the Sauteed Shaved Brussels Sprouts with Shallots and Almonds. I like them roasted, and this recipe sounds particularly good!

If you are already cooking healthy and looking for more recipes, or if you are looking to change to a healthier lifestyle, then this cookbook is for you. I highly recommend it.

I received a copy of this book from Running Press for my honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments family friendly! :-)