January 28, 2014

Good Stock: Life on a Low Simmer by Sanford D'Amato

Good Stock: Life on a Low Simmer
My rating: 4 of 5 spoons
gggg

I have thoroughly enjoyed this book!! Such a great balance of story and recipes-and what stories and recipes!! Unlike some chef memoirs I've ready, this chef/author is very down to earth and even quite humble at times making for a very enjoyable read. As for the recipes--oh, my! Lemon Curd Meringue, Navarin of Lamb, Sicilian Burger with Marinated Olive Schiacciate (and the recipe for Semolina Olive Buns is included!) and so many more!! I have to say, I could have done without the photo that went with the recipe for "Rhubarb-Glazed Squab on Candied Radish and Scallions, Rhubarb Essence" as well as the profane comment at the head of the recipe. The leg with the foot attached sticking up in the air is not very appetizing to me, and I hate profanity in a cookbook. It definitely dropped my review a bit.

If you want a combination of good storytelling and great recipes, I would recommend this book to you. The author is pleasantly down to earth instead of the typical arrogance I've found in other memoirs, and the food is amazing! Do yourself a favor and check it out!

I received a copy of this book from Midway, an Agate Publishing imprint through the Lisa Ekus Group for my honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments family friendly! :-)