August 5, 2014

National Trust Complete Country Cookbook by Laura Mason

National Trust Complete Country Cookbook
My rating: 4 of 5 spoons
gggg 

This is not my first "National Trust" cookbook. I loved "Simply Baking", and couldn't wait to get into this one. I was not disappointed. This is classic British food. From the simplicity of a "Welsh Rarebit" to a classic "Roast Goose with Sage and Onion" (on my list for Christmas this year!) and from a simple "Light Sponge Cake" to the quintessential "Staffordshire Fruitcake", this cookbook is perfect for Anglophiles. The sponge cake is easy, but the flavor is amazing. A little tip, though. When they tell you to grease and line the cake tin, line it!! I tried the old faithful grease and flour the pan, and it didn't want to come out of the pan. Ah, well. That's an easy fix--just cut it up and whip up a trifle! Speaking of which, I was a little surprised that this cookbook lacked a trifle recipe.

"Cornish Pasties" are a favorite with my girls. I know she says not to use minced beef instead of steak, but I used what I had and they're still great. "Champ", the classic Irish comfort food--mashed potatoes with buttermilk and chives--is so easy, but so delicious.

If you are looking for quick, easy recipes with only common American ingredients, this might not be the book for you. If you love British food, or just want to expand your horizons a bit, I highly recommend this cookbook.

I received a copy of this book from Trafalgar Square Publishing through IPG for my honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments family friendly! :-)