September 29, 2014

Dinner with Mr. Darcy by Pen Vogler

Dinner with Mr. Darcy: Recipes inspired by the novels of Jane Austen
My rating: 5 of 5 spoons
ggggg

What delicious, delightful fun!! Calling all Jane Austen fans, this is a great book whether used as a cookbook or a companion to her books.

My mom loves to feed people and is a very giving person. On a visit to my home some months ago, she presented me with a package of beef cheeks which I promptly put in the freezer to keep until I found out what on earth to do with them. She knows I love to cook and to try new things, so she knew this would be something I was interested in. I kept telling myself that I needed to find a good recipe and pull them out and cook them. Imagine my delight and surprise when I found the recipe for 'Braised Beef Cheek' in this book! Not really knowing what to expect, I dove right in. The directions were so clear and easy to follow that pretty soon it was simmering in my oven. Now, my kids are not the most adventurous eaters in the world, but even they thoroughly enjoyed this dish! I was a little nervous about the allspice--NOT a spice I would normally use in a meat and vegetable dish--but it just gave it a light flavor on the back end of the bite that was very pleasant. The beef cheeks were fork tender and I would definitely make this again!!

Make your own 'White Soup' as they did for the Ball at Netherfield in Pride & Prejudice, or 'Plum Cake' from Mrs. Weston's wedding in Emma. The recipes are easy to follow and there aren't many hard-to-find ingredients that a substitute hasn't been given for.

Anyone who loves Jane Austen, or wants food from that period should love this book. I find it delightful and highly recommend it!

I received a copy of this book from Ryland Peters for my honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments family friendly! :-)