September 24, 2014

Singapore Cooking by Terry Tan

Singapore Cooking: Fabulous Recipes from Asia's Food Capital
My rating: 4 of 5 spoons
gggg

This is a beautiful, fascinating, well-thought-out cookbook. It begins with some history and information, then sort of a dictionary (with pictures which is great!) of Singapore ingredients, before moving on to a section called 'Marinades, Chutneys, Sambals and Achars' which also includes recipes for making your own curry powders (there's more than one) and Garam Masala Spice Mix. From there it moves on to 'Snacks, Soups and Salad', "Breads, Rice and Noodles', Chicken and Duck', 'Seafood', 'Meat', 'Vegetables' and finishes with 'Desserts'. There are lovely photos of the dishes, and the recipes are clear and easy to follow. You will want to have a good specialty food store nearby for ingredients such as pandanus leaves and juice, fresh cardamom pods, fish cake and fresh tumeric root.

I am intrigued by these dishes as they are very different from what I'm used to eating. I'm hoping to make Curry Puffs in the near future. I love the Quick Rice with Chicken and I can't wait to try the Bergedel Potato Fish Cakes. I also want to make up the spices to have on hand over time, I just have to get a couple of the spices (like fenugreek seeds) that I'm missing.

I have thoroughly enjoyed this cookbook and highly recommend it to anyone. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

I received a copy of this book from Tuttle Publishing for my honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments family friendly! :-)