January 10, 2015

Tamales by Alice Guadalupe Tapp

Tamales: Fast and Delicious Mexican Meals
My rating: 4 of 5 spoons
gggg

I've wanted to learn how to make tamales for ages, but never really had the opportunity, so when I saw this book I knew it was finally time to give it a try. I wanted some fairly simple flavors for my first attempt, and something that my kids would potentially like, so I settled on the Refried Beans and Chorizo Tamales. The masa was a little tricky to make and it never did float in cold water like the book said, so I just went with the thick, paste-like texture it called for and prayed it would work. Next came the filling. Oh, my!! I could just sit down with a bowl of the filling alone! Simple, but so delicious!

Now comes the fun part. I soaked the corn husks for the allotted time and set out to attempt my first tamale. The wrapping went much easier than I expected, but I did the simple fold over, so that could be part of it. Confession time--I didn't refrigerate it over night. I somehow missed that step until I had already made the masa and filling, and that was my plan for supper, so I went ahead with the steaming and hoped for the best.

Sooooo, the BEST is absolutely what I got!! Oh, my! These are amazing! I will definitely be making these again!

If you love tamales or just love Mexican food and want to try your hand at tamales, I highly recommend this book!

I received a copy of this book through Blogging for Books for my honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments family friendly! :-)