January 10, 2015

To Cook is to Love by John Verlinden


My rating: 4 of 5 spoons
gggg

My husband knows me well! My favorite Christmas gift this year was a beautiful 6 qt enameled cast iron Dutch oven I've been wanting for ages. Of course, then I HAD to find something wonderful to cook in it! I found the perfect thing in this lovely cookbook. Chicken Fricassee sounds so simple, but I had all the ingredients at hand, so I dove right in. The recipe is clear and easy to follow and was very easy to make. I wasn't sure how my kids would react, but I was excited to see how it turned out. Let's just say three of the four kids have BEGGED me to be sure and make this again often! The cumin adds that lovely, Latin flavor your normal chicken fricassee doesn't have, and I definitely plan on making this again!

My family and I spent a week in Miami a few years ago and had the fortune to eat at a Cuban restaurant. Our host family had to translate for us as they spoke no English, but the food was divine!! I've had a soft spot for Cuban food ever since and was thrilled to have a chance to review this cookbook. From plantain to flan, there is a lovely array of Cuban dishes with the added advantage of being made lighter and healthier. The book is seasoned with stories and photos, though not, unfortunately, of the dishes. That is my only issue with this book. I wish there were at least some photos of the finished dishes.

If you like Latin food at all, I highly recommend this cookbook. It is a joy to both read and cook from!

I received a copy of this book from Langdon St Press through Lisa Ekus Group for my honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments family friendly! :-)