March 12, 2015

Clean Slate by Martha Stewart

Clean Slate: A Cookbook and Guide: Reset Your Health, Detox Your Body, and Feel Your Best
My rating: 4 of 5 spoons
gggg

This is a nice cookbook with some good information and recipes, but not really much new. There are your classic juices and smoothies, salads, chicken, roasted veggies, and so forth. Don't get me wrong, there's some good stuff here. It just doesn't feel groundbreaking to me. Overall, the book feels like more effort went into presentation than content. I mean, do we really need an entire page that all it says is, "Golden Rule No. 8 remember to stay hydrated" followed by a page of how good water is for us and how much we should drink along with a little information on other healthy drinks?

The book is in two parts; Reset and Recipes. There is some good information in the Reset section along with some that makes you wonder how stupid they think people really are. It ends with a 3-day action plan and a 21-day action plan. From there it moves to recipes. As I stated above, there's a lot of basic recipes you find in most cookbooks of this type (kale chips, anyone?), but there's some good stuff, too. I make what we call "cold oatmeal" and the book calls "Fruit and Almond Alpine Muesli", but I never thought of using yogurt in place of half of the milk. I'll definitely try that next time! I'll probably pass on the Sardines and Cream Cheese on Rye (for breakfast!?!), but I definitely want to try the Cardamom Quinoa Porridge with Pear.

Overall, this is a good cookbook. If you have a pile of these already on your shelf, it may not be anything new, but for someone who really wants to start eating better and get healthy, this is a great cookbook for them.

I received a copy of this book through Blogging for Books for my honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments family friendly! :-)