April 23, 2013

"Cooking With Chocolate" by Magnus Johansson

Cooking with Chocolate: The Best Recipes and Tips from a Master Pastry ChefMy rating: 4 of 5 spoons
gggg

Even experienced bakers can be intimidated by the demands of successfully working with chocolate, which requires an experienced touch and careful handling to achieve great results. You can teach yourself this complex and delicate art through hours of painful trial and error . . . or you can master the skills of cooking with chocolate with help from one of the greatest pastry chefs in Europe!

What a gorgeous cookbook! The hardcover matches the glossy dust jacket with beautifully photographed chocolate dishes. The cook itself is full of more gorgeous photos showing not only the finished dish, but many have step-by-step photos as well.

Now, the important part—the recipes!! It’s hard to miss with chocolate! These are fantastic recipes from a master pastry chef. So many recipes, so little time! I made the brownies tonight. That sounds so much plainer than it is. The BEST brownies I’ve ever had, bar none. So incredibly rich and moist, they are magic in your mouth! My husband is trying to eat healthy and only has a small portion (if he has any at all) if we have a dessert, but these sent him back for more! The chocolate spritz cookies are next on my list to cook with my daughters and the spicy chocolate coated hazelnuts. After that…wow! So many great recipes to choose from!

I only have two caveats with this book. Some ingredients may be harder to find, especially for a home cook like me (Bergamot orange oil, pickled red cherries, etc). Also, on a few recipes the pan size is not specified. On the brownies I made tonight it said you could use 20 muffin cups or “one baking pan” with no mention of what size. I eyeballed it and used a 9 x 13 which worked fine, but these issues did drop my review down one star.

I received a copy of this book from Skyhorse Publishing for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own. 

http://www.amazon.com/Cooking-with-Chocolate-ebook/dp/B009K8FLXY/ref=dp_kinw_strp_1

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/cooking-with-chocolate-magnus-johansson/1110933356?ean=9781616088279

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments family friendly! :-)