October 16, 2014

The Surf Cafe Cookbook

Surf Café Cookbook: Living the Dream: Cooking and Surfing on the West Coast of Ireland
My rating: 4 of 5 spoons
gggg  

The Surf Cafe Cookbook falls into that small category of cookbooks that are as much fun to curl up in a comfy chair and read as it is to cook from. It has a homey feel and is such fun.

The recipes are mostly simple and scrumptious. From the classic 'Eggs and Soldiers' breakfast--and they even include the pattern to knit your own egg beanies!--to grilled sea trout and from a classic Irish soda bread to 'Perfect Bangers and Mash', there is such a lovely variety of foods and flavors. I was a little disappointed that they call for baps (a type of roll) in more than one recipe but, while they make a point that everything in their restaurant is homemade, they never give you a recipe to make the baps. Unfortunately, baps are not something I can just go out and buy, so I'll have to find a recipe somewhere else.

The egg beanies noted above are not the only non-food instructions included, which just adds to the fun of this book. There is everything from 'The Perfect Irish Larder' to tips to make the perfect cup of coffee, how to gut a fish, local walks, foraging and the classic Irish cheese board. This is such a fun book. I love it and highly recommend it!

I received a copy of this book from Quartos Books for my honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments family friendly! :-)