November 19, 2014

Flour and Water: Pasta by Thomas McNaughton

Flour and Water: Pasta
My rating: 5 of 5 spoons
ggggg 

This may be one of my all-time favorite cookbooks now! I love pasta, but my forays into pasta making in the past have not gone well. Sometimes it was because the recipe was hard to understand, or I was trying to use special equipment that wasn't working right. The recipes are so simple and easy to understand. There are tons of pictures including many step-by-step type photos. I have some semolina pasta resting in my refrigerator right now to make some capellini pasta tomorrow. I've never had a pasta dough come together so smoothly in my life. My daughter was fascinated watching me as my only tool was a fork! I'm in love! There are so many different types of pasta to try, with many that need only tools you would find in a normal kitchen. Yes, you can get special equipment to do fancy shapes, but you don't have to. Hey, I eventually would love to have a chitarra pasta cutter and a corzetti stamp, but for now, I can make plenty of pastas with a knife, crinkle & smooth edge dual cutter, and rolling pin. I'm a happy woman!

Of course, the recipes are not just for making the different pasta types and shapes, there are lots of recipes for everything from a simple pesto to Squid Ink Chitarra with Sea Urchin, Tomatoes and Chiles. I can't wait to try Black Pepper Tagliatelle with Mussels, Lardo and Corn. I made a slightly similar dish earlier this year with lobster and corn and it was amazing. I really want to try this one now. I appreciate that if you don't have time to make homemade pasta, each recipe gives you a store-bought option.

I cannot recommend this book enough. I've enjoyed every aspect of it from just reading through it, to enjoying the photos and, finally, cooking from it myself. This is a great cookbook that I'm sure to return to again and again.

I received a copy of this book from Ten Speed Press through Blogging for Books for my honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

1 comment:

Please keep your comments family friendly! :-)