November 7, 2014

Long Nights and Log Fires by Ryland, Peters & Small

Long Nights and Log Fires: Warming Comfort Food for Family and Friends
My rating: 5 of 5 spoons
ggggg

A fire is crackling merrily in the fireplace as I type, and the weather is perfect for this book today! Even the title of this beautiful cookbook makes you feel cozy. Leek and Potato Soup, Slow-Cooked Onion and Cider Soup with Gruyere Toasts, Baked Mushrooms with Manchego Bechamel, Chunky Fish Stew with Cheese Toasts, Winter Vegetable Gratin, Coq au Vin, Toasted Teacakes, Baked Apples....my mouth is watering and I'm in the mood for comfort food! I was slightly surprised there wasn't a Beef Stew recipe included, just Boeuf Bourguignon. Boeuf Bourguignon is great, but sometimes just a simple, hearty beef stew with lots of vegetables and a nice, thick broth is perfect for those cold nights in front of a warm fire. This oversight caused the book to almost seem to have a hole in it for me, like a page was missing or something.

My girls and I have started "Tea and Tales" once or twice a month on a Friday to discuss a book we're reading together. I think "Toasted Teacakes" will be the perfect accompaniment to our tea for our first meeting today!

This is a beautiful book with gorgeous photos and scrumptious recipes to get us through the fall and winter months. I highly recommend it!

I received a copy of this book from Ryland, Peters & Small and CICO Books for my honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments family friendly! :-)