November 19, 2014

Sushi Secrets by Marisa Baggett

Sushi Secrets: Easy Recipes for the Home Cook
My rating: 5 of 5 spoons
ggggg

I'll let you in on a little secret. I don't really like sushi. Gasp! I know, I know. I've barely retained some friendships over this, and it must seem crazy for me to review a cookbook on nothing but sushi. However, I have a 12-year-old daughter who LOVES sushi. I'm not really sure where she got it from, but unless it's loaded with raw fish or insanely spicy, she'll eat it. Because I love her so much, I thought it might be fun to make her 13th birthday extra special and make sushi together. Of course, since I don't care for sushi (I can eat it if I have to, I just don't necessarily enjoy it), it's not exactly in my cooking repertoire. Enter sushi cookbooks! Her birthday isn't until next year, but sushi seems potentially complicated to me, so I wanted to get a good head start.

Let me just start by saying this is a gorgeous book!! Beautiful, full-color photos, a nice hard cover with matching dust jacket and a great sewn binding that lets the book stay open to whatever page you have it at without having to find something to hold it down just shows the quality of this book. Now, on to the recipes.

There's literally something for everyone in this book. It's laid out wonderfully with all the information you need to get started in the beginning of the book. From planning the meal to ingredients, tools, rice, cleaning & cutting the fish and more, everything you need to know to get started is here. From there it moves on to Sauces & Condiments, Appetizers, Sashimi, Pressed, Gunkan & Nigiri Sushi, Thin Rolls, Thick Rolls, Inside Out Rolls, Sushi Bowls, Sushi Hand Rolls and Desserts and Drinks. Speaking of dessert, I can't wait to try the Green Tea Panna Cotta and Sesame Cookies and the Lemon Mango Bars!

I wasn't sure how to do her birthday since she's really the only sushi fan in the family, but there's so much in here that everyone can enjoy from Fragrant Herb and Mushroom Spring Rolls, Japanese Pizza, Barbecued Short Ribs Sushi Bowl and more. When it comes to the sushi itself, I was very pleased with how accessible it is. The instructions are clear and concise with many recipes showing step-by-step photos. We're planning on setting up a sushi "station" so everyone can get involved and help create their own masterpieces. With this book, this now feels completely doable and I'm so excited I can make my daughter's birthday unforgettable!!

I received a copy of this book from Tuttle Publishing for my honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments family friendly! :-)