October 23, 2013

Callie's Biscuits and Southern Traditions by Carrie Morey

Callie's Biscuits and Southern Traditions: Heirloom Recipes from Our Family KitchenMy rating: 4 of 5 spoons
gggg

I have lived all over the US, but I am a Southern girl at heart. My parents were both born and raised in the South, and I grew up on good, Southern cooking. I couldn't wait to start cooking from this book. I'll be honest, I'm something of a biscuit snob. To me, biscuits should be simple and so I haven't made Callie's biscuits yet (I've never HEARD of putting cream cheese into biscuits!), but will probably give them a go sometime in the future. I do heartily agree with her preference for White Lily flour for your biscuits, though. It's the best brand I've found for great biscuits.
A Cup A Cup A Cobbler
This is definitely a book on Southern cooking and, as such, Callie loves her butter!! Now I love butter as much as the next person (I refuse to even have margarine in my house!), but 1 stick of butter for the "A Cup A Cup A Cobbler" recipe was definitely too much. I took it to church for our potluck, and the ladies there agreed that the cobbler taste was good, but it was way too much butter. I would recommend dropping it to no more than 1/2 stick, and possibly less. On the same vein, I was going to whip up the "Christmas Cast-Iron Apple" which looks like a cross between an apple pie and an apple crumble today, but between the pie crust recipe and the pie recipe, it calls for a grand total of 2 1/4 sticks of butter! I decided to hold this recipe until Thanksgiving when I can just indulge and not worry about it!

Mrs. Em's Bread
Mrs. Em's Bread has a wonderful flavor. It's quick and easy to whip up and the results were great. I will say that the inside of mine was slightly doughy even though by her guidelines it should have been done, but that could be partly due to my new loaf pan. Next time I'll let it cook about 5 minutes more than she says.
 
This book has a great basic roasted chicken recipe with instructions for several varieties. I made the Greek Chicken, and it came out wonderful!! It is very easy to make and has a luscious flavor to it.

If you're into eating healthy, be careful with this book!! It is truly Southern in many ways. However, if you just love to eat Southern and hang the calories, or if you want that splurge ever so often, this would be a great cookbook for you! I definitely plan to keep it around, and there are lots of recipes I can't wait to try. (The "Lighter Low Country Tomato Pie" is absolutely calling my name!) Grab yourself a copy and let's get cooking!!

I received a copy of this book from Simon & Schuster for my honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments family friendly! :-)