October 23, 2013

Summerland by Anne Quatrano

 My rating: 2 of 5 spoons
gg

My roots are in the South, and I was raised on Southern cooking. I was excited to see a book on Southern cooking, but refined. I was not expecting a book that was so "refined" in most places it in no way resembled any Southern cooking I've ever known! "Kumamoto Oysters with Caviar and Champagne Gelée", "Broccoli Soup with Sabayon and Shaved Perigord Truffle", "Potted Quail Livers", "Caramelized Onions, Olive Soil, and White Anchovies on Dark Bread" (No, that is not a typo, it's actually "olive soil"). Where are these people from? Well, they may have moved to the South, but he's from Hawaii and she's from Connecticut. I think a lot of that shines through in these recipes.

There are some good, basic recipes that are very Southern in here that are worth cooking, like "Shirred Farm Eggs", "Summerland Farm Egg Custard", and "Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon" to name a few. There are even a few authentic dishes that I WOULDN'T recommend--can you say "Head Cheese"?!? Seriously, though, if you are looking for true Southern cooking that's just a little healthier or a little more upscale, I don't know if this is for you. If you're looking to impress someone with fancy food which may or may not resemble Southern cooking at all, this is probably the book for you.

I received a copy of this book from Rizzoli International Publications through The Lisa Eskus Group for my honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments family friendly! :-)