October 2, 2013

The Duke's Table by Enrico Alliata di Salaparuta

The Duke's Table: The Complete Book of Vegetarian Italian CookingMy rating: 4 of 5 spoons
gggg

This book was a bit of a surprise for me. I'm NOT a vegetarian, but we are trying to eat healthy so I'm always on the hunt for good, tasty vegetable dishes that my family will enjoy. I absolutely LOVE cooking Italian, and I was expecting exactly what the title said--vegetarian ITALIAN cooking. I was a little surprised when I started seeing all of these recipes like "British Rice", "English Style Vegetarian Meatballs" and "German Cake", but I actually laughed out loud when I kept finding dishes from Australia, Holland, Chili, Russia and more! There are lots of Italian recipes, and they're very good--at least the ones I've cooked so far. There are classics intermixed with recipes I've never heard of. This book is so much fun just to read through!

There is one caveat for this book. If you are not at least somewhat comfortable with cooking, this would not be the book for you. For example, Bocconcini di Sostanza (Tasty Tidbits) has an ingredient list of 3 ingredients (though you'll find at least one more in the directions), but NO measurements. This is very common throughout the book. Some have amounts, some do not. The directions can be as bad. The Milk and Egg Soufflé simply tells you to "pour into a greased mold and steam cook."

Everything I have cooked out of it so far has turned out great, and I love the funny little gems I keep stumbling across. If you're a comfortable to expert cook, you might really enjoy this book. I know I did!

I was sent a copy of this book by Melville House Publishing for my honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments family friendly! :-)