December 15, 2015

Per La Famiglia by Emily Richards


My rating: 5 of 5 spoons

ggggg

Mamma Mia!! What a delightful book! "For the Family" encapsulates how and why I cook, and this book is filled with the delicious food I love to prepare for my family.

Every Italian cookbook has their own Homemade Tomato Sauce recipe and, for me, how that turns out says a lot about how I'll feel about the rest of the cookbook. The Homemade Tomato Sauce is easy and delicious. It just takes a few minutes to get the ingredients going on the stove where it simmers on its own while you do other things. It was a huge hit with my family as well as at the church potluck. I've made two batches so far and both turned out delicious. I will be making this often!

I have made multiple trips to Sicily, and one of the things I would bring back for my kids were Amaretti--little crunchy almond-flavored cookies. I was thrilled to see a recipe for them! They are not the same color or quite the same texture (the ones we brought back were crunchy all the way through while the inside of these are soft), but the flavor is the same. They are amazing!! Once again, these were a huge hit at the church potluck with multiple women asking for the recipe. They are so quick and easy to make as well! These are going on my Christmas cooking list this year!!

From a simple Spaghetti Carbonara to Prosciutto and Ricotta Chicken Roll Ups, Cassata Sicilian and a version of my beloved Arancini, this cookbook is filled with lovely photos and delightful recipes. It includes menus for family celebrations, special chapters on Christmas and Easter along with all the normal chapters such as Antipasti, Pizza e Pane, First Courses and Light Meals, Main Courses, Vegetables and Salads, Desserts, and Cookies.

I love this cookbook. It easily won its way to my favorites shelf and I know I will cook from it often. I highly recommend it to everyone!

I received a copy of this book from Whitecap Publishing for my honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments family friendly! :-)